veteran affairs at dmi


Veteran Benefits

The Veterans Benefits Administration offers a wide-variety of benefits and services to Veterans. Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions.

Applying for your VA education benefits can be done in just a few steps:

  • Apply online if you know which benefit you want to use.
  • Visit your nearest VA regional office to apply in person.
  • Consult with the VA Certifying Official—who is usually in the Financial Aid office.
  • Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.

If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact DMII at: [email protected] or 318-213-0785

Active and former members of the armed forces and their families may have access to military and veteran funding. These unique funding sources may allow members and former members of our Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard to utilize funds to offset the cost of their program. Let our financial aid staff help you find military and veteran resources to help you launch your civilian life career.


A veteran and military student admissions counselor can provide the support you need. Contact us for more information!

No, any veterans benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs should not be reported as income to the IRS.

With the exception of advance pay, the VA pays at the end of each benefit month. Students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 benefits are required to “verify” their enrollment status on or after the last day of the month. Students may verify by calling the toll-free number (1-877-823-2378) or by accessing the VA WAVE website. Upon verification, the VA will process the payment and send it to the student either by mail or direct deposit. It is highly recommended that students elect the direct deposit option to eliminate lost or stolen checks. In addition, students using direct deposit receive benefits in four or five working days as opposed to seven to ten days by mail.

The VA does not pay for courses which are not prerequisites or required in students’ degree programs. Students are responsible for ensuring that the courses apply toward their degrees.

If they are not sure, they should consult their instructor or the Operations Specialist. If students wish to take courses that are not required, we will certify only the required courses and report a change in status affecting only those courses.

Contact the VA directly if you need information about benefit eligibility or payment status. The Regional Education Office is located in Muskogee, OK. They can be reached by calling: 1-888-442-4551.

VA will pay for repeated courses as long as they are required and the grades previously earned do not meet degree requirements. Enrolling again in a course from which a student withdrew is not considered a repeated course.

The VA will send you your stipend at the beginning of each month.

If you are eligible for National Guard, you will receive a reduced TOPS stipend. Please contact the TOPS office at 1-800-259-5626 for more questions

The VA only covers mandatory tuition and fees. The non-resident fee is not considered a mandatory fee and is not covered under the GI Bill.

The Board of Regents maintains a policy regarding the mobilization/activation of Reserve and National Guard units. If you have any questions about this policy please contact DMII at 318-213-0788.

Please fill out the enrollment certification form. This form allows us to certify you for your classes and for you to receive your VA educational programs. We cannot certify you without this form.

We do not have a date. However, we recommend that you submit the enrollment form once you register for classes. The sooner the better.

A full time online student requires six credit hours per module.